Thursday, December 06, 2007

If It's the Holiday Season, There Must be Grinchs

I have been thinking of Christmas. Who hasn't? All the commercials bombarding the airwaves with "joy". Then I thought about our decorations sleeping peacefully in the storage building. Once in a while I think about getting in among all the stuff. Maybe I could actually find something I could use here. Then I realize how much trouble it would be to try to get the stuff out. I feel a little like saying forget it.

Then I think about all the homes in our neighborhood with decorations on the lawns. Then I have to think about the rash of destruction some Grinchs have done lately. Anyone who has been to WalMart looking a decorations knows how expensive some of these out door decorations are. A large inflated snowman is over $100 dollars. So why to some idiots think it is such fun to cut holes in them or steal them? Do they need some decorations? Do they have children who would like to see them? Maybe they don't have any money. I know the feeling because decorations have become big business and big attention getters. Why do they do this? Are they just mean spirited?

I just don't understand what is so funny about slicing up these things. I remember last year seeing a news story where a home owner actually put security cameras in his front yard so he could get pictures of the Grinchs. Sure enough the pictures were broadcast on all the local channels. The dastardly evil doers were seen enjoying ripping apart the decorations. Respect of private property meant nothing to them.

Then of course I find myself thinking about punishment. What would be a good punishment for them. Jailhouse food for the holidays? Community service? Buying new decorations for the owners? I just don't know. Maybe they should be made to be human decorations? Maybe they should have to wear costumes of the season and stand still on the lawns of the homeowners. It is enough to make Santa frown.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I noticed two of my Merry Christmas stakes (signs) from the front garden are missing. I asked my daughter who likes to move things around on us from time to time and she said she didn't.

My husband then said, "Maybe someone took them."

Our daughter, mad as a hatter put her hands on her hips and declared, "I'm tired of people thinking we are a store."

I guess the home burglary, missing things, etc. has really burned her buttons this year.

Dr.John said...

We have a Manger scene and some other decorations and thank God the grinches have stayed away.

maria said...

I believe they should be arrested and put in jail for a few nights.

Then,maybe, they will learn that their behaviour is unacceptable.

Marie