Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Procrastination

Here I sit trying to get up courage. I applied with a company to do customer call center work from home. I did all the homework and checked it out. It is one of the ones suggested on Good Morning America. I filled out the information and took the first part of the test. That was fairly easy. Two simple multiple choice questions and a short essay, no problem. I got the email from them stating that I am now in their data base and giving me instructions for the final step in the application process. I have to call a number, give them a code and do something they call a voice audition. I sit here and look at the phone, but every time I start to dial the number, my courage fails me. Why? I don't know why this is so hard for me. I've done enough phone work in the past. I've even done community theater. So why am I so reluctant to dial the number? Is it fear of failure? Maybe. Fear that I won't get the job? Yes. I haven't worked at all in over six years. The last time I applied for a job, I sent out over thirty resumes and got four calls, but no offers.
I don't know why I am having such a hard time taking this last step. In the back of my mind I think either the dogs will bark or the parrot will screach. Doing the call center work requires a quiet work environment. Just what I need, chaos when I am trying to speak to someone about a job. It shouldn't be this big a deal, right? I'm only looking at a part-time position, not brain surgery. What is keeping me from from dialing that number? My anxiety is showing...

1 comments:

Frustrated Mom said...

Jill-

You'll have to let me know more about this. I am looking for alternate work, since I'd like to stay home after the baby is born. I'd love any links or info you might have on this! Thanks.