Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Little Things

Sometimes I think we need to stop and think about life. Many times we are so busy with work and family that we forget that sometimes little things mean more than we know. I remember years ago when I had my first job working in a records room of a hospital. I was about 20 years old and it was the first time I had my own money. One of my jobs was to go pick up records from various clinics and offices. As I walked around I saw a young girl in a waiting room. She seemed upset. I asked her what was wrong. She did not have enough money for a coke from the machine and her father was with her mother who had just had surgery. I did not usually have change in my pocket unless I was going on a break. This time for some reason I did have some in my pocket. I dug into my pocket and found enough change to pay for a drink. So I gave her the money. She thanked me and I thought "no big deal". She smiled, that was enough.

We went to the funeral of my son-in-law's mother last week. I usually avoid funerals as much as possible. But we knew that since she had been very sick this was about to happen. My son-in-law asked if we could come to the funeral. I could not help but feel that this was important to him. I did not know his mother very well. I had been around her a few times but we were not really close. I found out later that my son-in-law felt better than he had in a long time just by us coming. It was a long trip for us, but it was another little thing that mattered.

I've been thinking about an old song that Glen Campbell had on his "Galveston" album. It has always been a favorite of mine. Just a little small song on an album. "Friends" was a song he did not sing, but spoke. He spoke of how important friends are and how the seemingly little things we do for our friends are important. He spoke of how friends are never earned, they are a gift from the living God. A friend will warm you with a nod when you are hurting beyond words. They will answer the phone at two in the morning when you feel lost and with a few words of concern and encouragement make you realize you are not lost at all. Words we could all pay more attention these days. We may never know how or when something we say or do will help anyone. It doesn't cost a lot, either. It is the little things that mean a lot.

3 comments:

bettygram said...

I agree. Sometimes it is just a smile. I remember when Dr John was in the hospital someone paid for my meal in the cafeteria. I had no idea who.

Anonymous said...

Very true. We don't know how we impact one another. One little thing -- one little tiny something -- that one thinks is inconsequential can completely change somebody else's life for good or ill. That's why I work (don't always succeed) to keep my words positive and helpful.

Dr.John said...

"She smiled that was enough." Sometime a smile is even more than enough. It fills us with the feeling that maybe the world is now a little better place and we helped to make it better.