Thursday, December 04, 2008

Hang Up on the President Elect? Oops!

On Wednesday, a Republican congresswoman,Lleana Ros-Lentinen got a call from President-elect Barack Obama, didn't believe it was him, and hung up on him. Twice.

According to Ros-Lehtinen's spokeman, Alex Cruz, the congresswoman received the call on her cell phone from a Chicago-based number and an aide informed her that Obama wanted to speak to her. When Obama introduced himself, Ros-Lehtinen cut him off and said, "I'm sorry but I think this is a joke from one of the South Florida radio stations known for these pranks." Then she hung up.

Moments later, Obama tried again, this time through his soon-to-be chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel.

"Ileana, I cannot believe you hung up on the President-Elect," Emanuel said. And then--yes, you know what's coming--she hung up on Emanuel saying she "didn't believe the call was legitimate."

A short time later, Ros-Lehtinen received an urgent call from Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, who informed her that she indeed hung up on Obama.

So, Obama tried again and this time he was successful. Oops!

Can you imagine getting a call from an important person like the President and you think it is a prank? Thanks to Aston Kutcher's "Punked" show, would you really answer the phone. Just ask Sarah Palin about being punked. It does remind me of a sketch Bill Cosby did years ago when he played Noah and God called him and told him to build an ark. Noah didn't believe it either. He said Yeah, right. When God told him to build the ark and how many cubits to make it, he said again, yeah right, what's a cubit? I thought it was a funny sketch.

Just goes to show that you never know who will call you. Caller ID anyone? I got a call one time from Gov. Rick Perry asking me to vote, but that was a recording, I think... I let the answering machine take the call.


3 comments:

MoneyBonanza said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr.John said...

If someone called me and claimed to be the President I would hang up too.

cube said...

I know exactly what she was thinking, why in the world would a democrat president-elect be calling me? It had to be a prank call. I can't blame her.