Wednesday, October 22, 2008

You Talking to Me?

A couple of days ago as I was cleaning the oven, I heard a noise inside the refrigerator. It was kind of a thunk. I did not really give it much thought. For the next couple of days I kept hearing it. While sitting in the living room, I heard thunks in the kitchen. What is that? I went to the kitchen. I stood there and waited. Nothing. I went back to the living room. Thunk, thunk. Back to the kitchen I went. I opened the refrigerator and stared in. Nothing. I closed the door. Thunk. Ok, now you are getting on my nerves. Again I opened the door and looked inside. What is making this noise? "You talking to me?"

I looked at all the shelves, and the drawers. What's up?. As I stood there looking at the bottles and cans. Nothing happened. Nothing in the drawers made any noise. I guess the cheese was sleeping. The container of biscuits was quiet. The leftovers sat still. Then, aha! I heard the thunk again. So now I had to investigate. In my best detective mode I narrowed the noise down to either the gallon jug of milk or the jug of tea. Of course neither was talking.

Then this morning I discovered which one was the guilty party. When I went into the kitchen to fix a bowl of cereal the thunk sound still haunted me. I ignored it as I poured my cereal into the bowl. Then I opened the refrigerator door to get out the milk. I took out the milk and put it on the counter while I reached into a drawer to get a spoon. As the milk sat on the counter, I heard it say "thunk". "Gotcha!" I thought. The nearly empty milk jug was talking to me. It continued to thunk to me until I poured the milk into my cereal. Well, at least now I know what made the noise. Now I wonder what it was trying to tell me. But it talks no more. As I emptied the jug of milk, the thunks were silenced. As a matter of fact, if it decides to talk again, only the garbage men will hear it. Hope it doesn't spook them. After all Halloween will be here soon.

3 comments:

Dr.John said...

A talking milk bottle! Who would have thunk it.

cube said...

I didn't know milk could talk ;-)

pineapple said...

awesome!