Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bashing Ron and Leonardo

I find it funny that so many people have jumped on the bandwagon to beat up on the movie "the DaVinci Code". Every since the book became a run-away best seller people have protested and been critical of the story. Everyone from the Catholics,Christian conservatives to various religious leaders in Asia and other parts of the world. What are so many people afraid of? The book (and movie) is fiction. Almost any reader of fiction will agree that stories are taken frequently from fact and twisted to make a story. That does not mean we should take a novel as "truth". Even the book stores sell books as "fiction" or "non-fiction". It is up to the reader (or viewer) to draw his or her own conclusion. Some fiction is pure entertainment, other fiction is done for thought provoking. All this uproar over Dan Brown's book and Ron Howard's movie interpretation is a little silly.

There is a book by Larry Collins called "The Road to Armageddon". This book is a story about the opium crop in Afghanistan has provided cash deposited through out the world banking systems and how these "dealings" enable Iran to buy nuclear weapons from a Russian army in an effort to become a major factor in world domination. This book has been called "faction" because of it's use of certain known facts in the plot. Is anyone protesting? No.

Personally, I think anyone who is secure in their faith has nothing to worry about regarding the DaVinci Code movie. I dont know why people are so nervous. It's like we dislike people because we don't like their looks or heritage. Or why we do or don't like a sports team. I don't like liver but other people do. I also saw Mel Gibson's movie about the death of Christ. People protested that, too. Just goes back to the old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like what I like, you like what you like. I have no need to take this stuff so seriously.

2 comments:

Pixie said...

Our pastor is actually promoting the movie. I guess I hadn't paid too much attention to all the hoopla surrounding the movie; was definately on the list of ones I wanted to view.

Trinity13 said...

I def don't understand the uproar...people don't have to read it! No one is making them, so leave the book be. I know that my hubby and I won't be supporting the book or movie in any way, but we will not discourage anyone from reading it of seeing the movie.