Friday, May 12, 2006

The First Step

What is the old saying about the journey...begins with the first step? Where is the mindset of the American public? I realize that I am in the minority but I dont feel good about the NSA and it's collection of "data". Yet about 65% of the public is not concerned about this and in many cases say it is a good idea to protect us. Really? Has anyone noticed how inept these government agencies are? While it may not matter to most of the public that the NSA has collected all these phone records, I wonder just where it will end. Sure these records do not include personal information, but it could easily slip into the next step. At that point if anyone even mentions something "suspect" what would be the options? Get a court order? I mention to a friend something about Iraq and the next thing I know my phone it tapped. Sure this may not happen to any of us "average" Americans, but it could. Not all politicians are honest. The first computers were room size and compared to today's computers were primitive. Maybe what I worry about will not come to pass. The majority of Americans think our government is protecting us. This is the same government that told us to buy plastic sheeting and duct tape. The NSA may not be doing anything illegal or infringing on our privacy but the journey starts with the first step.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Jill.

I think it is most important that people realize that people run agencies. Normal, fallible people.

I think Americans assume that they know what they are doing and are autonomous.

Duez said...

I agree with you 100%.

Scary to think of where this could go.

Dr.John said...

I really wish we could trust the government but it seems to have lost our trust. There is too much secrecy. Too many things hidden from us. That first step is a scarey one.

Valkyrie said...

People should not fear their government. The Government should fear them.

That is to say, if we don't like our government, we have a duty to do something about it.

Pixie said...

Happy Mother's Day dear friend! I hope you have an awesome day.

Bone said...

I'm almost late, but just wanted to wish you a Happy Mothers Day.

B.R.L said...

I think as you do It is that first step that scares me.