Thursday, January 08, 2009

Can't Smell the Roses or Cigarettes?

Last night Jimmy was standing outside smoking when our neighbor across the walk also came out to smoke. They chatted for a few minutes. During their chat, our neighbor told Jimmy that he was able to sneak outside for a smoke because his wife was taking a shower. She has no sense of smell so she doesn't know that he smokes. He smokes outside and keeps the cigarettes and lighter in his car which she does not ever use. Since they have a little boy who is not yet two she always drives her suv. He usually works nights and she works days most of the time. So I guess it is possible she is not aware of his cigarette habit.

I know there are many reasons people have either a decreased sense of smell or none at all. I get that. But what I found funny was the fact that this woman must be really dumb or maybe he is . He thinks that she will never discover that he smokes since she can't smell anything. Yeah, my evil twin has been thinking of a plot to let her know her husband smokes. Oh sure, it is not my business. But I have to wonder is this woman is really clueless. She is a bit of a "I'm better than you" type person. I just find it hard to believe that she has never seen any evidence. He tosses the butts in the grass between our buildings where Jimmy throws his.

Maybe I am just a curious person by nature. I think I would know. Then again I have a good sense of smell. What if while he was sneaking a smoke she suddenly thought of something she needed to tell him? Or what if the phone rang and the call was for her husband? And how long will it be before the kid finds out and babbles the truth? I'm sure this husband thinks he will never be discovered. She'll never find out. Well, at least I find this amusing, for now...

5 comments:

Dr.John said...

If she doesn't know she will sooner or later.
Perhaps she thinks it is okay for him to think he is fooling her.
My wife also has no sense of smell.

bettygram said...

I as Dr John just said have no sense of smell, but I have noticed buts on my drive I know it is not my husband, but I am concerned but who is standing out there. Maybe it is my neighbor who thinks his wife won't know.

Bazza said...

Maybe she isn't really taking a shower!

pineapple said...

bazza: that is hilarious!

cube said...

Perhaps there is more deception going on in that marriage than they know. I don't really care... whatever floats your boat is fine by me.