Saturday, November 05, 2005

Answer Your E-Mail, Dummy!

As I read through the blogs the other day I came across a reference to someone blogging but not answering his e-mail. Is this becoming a problem? I e-mailed two of my daughters on Oct 29 and neither has answered. I was asking them if they would be able to come to Thanksgiving. While one did not directly answer my e-mail, she did call and mention they were thinking about it. Reading between the lines, I don't think they will be able to since they are on a very tight budget and live in El Paso.But my other daughter who lives in Aransas Pass has yet to respond. Since people will be coming from scattered parts of Texas, arrangements need to be made. Since it has been over a week, I thought about calling, but decided against it for a couple of reasons. I rarely can get hold of her by phone. If I do manage to catch her the connection is bad or she is so distracted by kids that she never seems to be paying attention. Whenever she wants me to baby sit the kids she always e-mails me with a note like "how about a fun evening with the kids?" In truth, I feel that sometimes she just uses me for her benefit. She doesnt call or write. Mother's day, birthday, anniversary I dont hear from her. Now I realize she has her hands full with three children.I had 3 kids, too including twins. She works parttime doing the books for her husband's newspaper and spends many hours blogging on thirty-some different blogs. She manages to keep up to date with all of them. She also spends a lot of time keeping up her groupie status with Def Leppard. I assume this leaves little time for her to answer her e-mail. It must be hard to find 30 seconds to send a short note to poor old decrepid mother. I don't know. Is there an e-mail etiquette book out there? Could be a good Christmas present for those people who can't seem to find the time to answer their e-mail. Answer your e-mail, dummy. Sigh...where is Emily Post when you need her?

2 comments:

Wilson said...

That's just rude to not reply to e-mail, especially if you're not especially busy (she seems to have time to check and reply to e-mail if she's doing so much blogging).

So yeah- she needs a reality check.

Cool blog! :-)

Wilson

Bone said...

Wow, I cannot imagine not at least talking to my Mother and sending her a card on Mother's Day and her birthday.

I think there is email etiquette. Or was, anyway. I'm guilty of sometimes reading an email, intending to respond to it, then before I know it, it's buried deep in my inbox. Not with important things though. And Thanksgiving plans seem kind of important to me.