Friday, August 04, 2006

Back to School ...Shopping That Is

It's tax free weekend shopping time again. Guess I won't be going to WalMart or Target this weekend. I'd rather not get run over by the crowds. I tried to do early Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving one year. Never again! I'm about to that point again with the annual tax free school shopping week-end. I'd really rather not have to fight the crowds of people. I'd hate to have to beat up some one buying adult diapers!

I find the tax fee idea good, but question some of the logic. This idea was supposed to help parents save money shopping for back to school things. I remember those days when I tried to buy school clothes for three kids. Not a fun thing to do. So,this week end there is no tax on certain items under $100. Jeans, shirts, jackets, shoes,gym suits and school uniforms are just a few items on the tax free list. But so are adult diapers, baby clothes, baby diapers, wedding dresses, and pajamas. So long as they are under the $100 limit, they are tax free. Why are wedding dresses on the list? Is there a high school junior wearing one to school? Now maybe a swim suit is ok if a kid is on the swim team, right? Baseball and football jerseys are ok, but not foolball pants. Personal flotation devices are not. Can't use those in the pool with the swimsuits.

School supplies are not tax free. No paper, pencils, notebooks, backpacks, map colors, and so on. Just how long to they think a ream of notebook paper will last? Cloth and lace, knitting yarns and other fabrics are not tax free. Neither are handkerchiefs. I guess tissues are more sanitary. I always thought it funny that each child in a classroom had to bring a box of tissues. Twenty-three boxes of tissue in the closet. Boy, those kids sneeze a lot.

As for me, I plan to avoid the crowds shopping for bargains. I need to save my strength for the Christmas shopping. That's coming up soon enough.

So to all the parents who survive tax free weekend, just remember this old song "Happy Days Are Here, Again" as your kids start school. Next May the kids will be singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out..."

8 comments:

Trinity13 said...

I don't understand why you would have a tax free weekend to help with school costs, but not have the supplies tax free! That just doesn't make sense!!

Pixie said...

To me the whole idea is ridiculous. You don't save much at all. And the list should have less limitations. IMHO; it's not worth it. I did my shopping in peace weeks ago. :-) I'm smarter than the average bear ya know........... well sometimes.

Hey how is your back?

Gingers Mom said...

Wow. I have never heard of tax free weekend. That is awfully nice for parents. But you're right, what's with the non school related stuff getting a break..but not school supplies. That is stupid.
My oldest doesn't start kindergarten until NEXT year. COunting the days...hee hee.

Ron Franscell said...

I'm still trying to figure out why I can buy a bathrobe tax-free, but not a backpack. And why can I buy a fishing cap tax-free, but not a hardhat? Or a football jersey tax-free, but not football pants?

Oh well. Free money is free money.

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Just dropping by to say thanks for the visit.

Anonymous said...

Isn't no sales tax like saying Wow 6% off? What am I missing? Who would go to a sale that was 6% off?

And around here the BTS promotions started the 5th of July, seems a bit early.

TEN33GIRL said...

I have never heard of tax free weekend. I have to admit that I've not even begun to think about back to school shopping, though now thanks to your post I think I will :D

maria said...

BTS tax free weekend without
having tax free on school items
is totally insane.

Who's idea was that?

And like Jan said "Woopee,a big
6%off".I certainly would not waste
my time fighting crowds for that.

Besides there are all kinds of
much better offers in different
stores where you don't have to
fight crowds so much.

My 4 cents,due to inflation....

Marie