Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Confessions and Questions

Ok, I admit that I am a bit of a tv addict, especially news.I watch other shows too. Depending on the issure I may watch a bit of a talk show. I Like the the Discovery Health, National Geographic, and the History channels,too. Baseball and football are on my list, although the jury is still out on the Texans this year. I think the lights are begining to dim on the Astros.

So, in between commercials I keep up with the news. But, I was thinking about the news reports yesterday. How much coverage is too much? I've seen more of JonBenet and Iraq than I really want. Must we dig up every miniscule detail of every story? Our fearless leader, President Bush has his blinders firmly in place. Over and over, I hear his reason (excuses) for everything. Then of course the news stations rehash it all. Even local channels rehash their stories.

Then there are the religious channels. A favorite topic of late is the possibility of the end of the world. Many of them are encouraging people to back Israel, saying that the Bible has predicted that what is going on in the Middle East is just the begining. Some even say that Iran will be the one to start it all.

So, as a tv junkie, what should we think? Who do we believe? Is there a reason current events are being duscussed so much? After all, it doesn't seem that the "Western" values are going to help anything. It is obvious that the UN is inept at best.

I don't think it is a good idea to live life with blinders on. But watching world events go the way they are, I wonder if there is an answer. It seems that the world leaders are un willing and unable to do anything but throw money. Where is Jack Bauer when we need him? Even crabby Dr. House can solve the mystery diagnosis. Maybe we should just have all the tv and movie writers get together to figure out what to do.

Oh well, maybe things will get better on "One Life to Live" and "General Hospital". Let's see, will John and Natalie find the gun and will Sonny be able to help Alexis? Maybe I should stick to watching cooking shows.... Oh, never mind let me get back to my book.

4 comments:

Catch said...

I rarely watch tv.....and I hate the news. Im so sick of hearing about this guy they think might have killed JonBenet. I think his story is to hokey..but I did hear he had a delicious meal on his plane ride to the States. What the hell is that all about????

Anonymous said...

So much of news just seems like they are trying to entertain us instead of informing us on what we need to know.

But when Jack Bauer gets back, I think the world will be a better place.

Lori's Minute said...

Hmmmm...interesting blog. I am a litle tired of all the news lately as well. It is pretty sad when one can predict what the news topic of the day will be on Larry King(as in the Jon Benet case).

I sort of wish we could vote someone into office who will do the right thing...is not a Republican or Democrat and does not care about pleasing all the other politicians but just do the right thing! How about focusing on our own county? Here's a thought! How about fixing the health care or the aftermath of Katrina? People are still down there without homes....what???? Where is Jimmy Carter and his Habit for Humanity?

Trinity13 said...

Heehee, I get most of my news from other bloggers!