Monday, October 09, 2006

Erecting a Fence at a Snail's Pace

My landlord is from India. Not that there is anything wrong with that other than sometimes understanding what he says. I have noticed that when I have had to call him to repair or fix something he calls his other Indian friends to do the job. When we first moved in here the AC fan went out. He sent his buddy out the next day. This guy replaced the ailing fan. Of course I could not understand half of what he said.

So now, two weeks after my landlord said he would, someone showed up Friday to "fix the fence". Great, I thought, finally I can let the dogs out in peace without wondering if they will accidentally knock down the fence. Let face it, one squirrel running along the top made it wobble.

So the guy, who showed up about 11:30 am introduced himself and his wife. They would be fixing the fence. Ok. So, between 11:30 and 2:30 pm they knock down the fence, board by board. Wonder how hard that was? She tapped the boards with a hammer and took down each board and put them in a pile in the neighbor's yard. He dug seven holes for the fence posts. Then they filled buckets of water and poured them into the holes. The ground was real hard and dry he said. Three hours to do that. Then they left and said they would be back the next day. Ok... But they did not come back Saturday. He came back Sunday at 11:30 with some posts and concrete. It took from 11:30 until 4:30 for him to set seven poles. Then he left.

So, will he be back today? Will he erect the fence? Just how long does it take to put up a fence of sixty feet? I had to keep the dogs inside all day yesterday. They were not happy. I wonder what he will accomplish today, assuming he does show up today. How far will he get? Will he get a few feet up or will he be able to do it all? I really think my five grandkids could do this faster. And the oldest is 11! Even Tom Sawyer got the fence painted faster! Jeez! I've seen faster snails!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's gotta be frustrating! I hope the fence gets finished soon.

Anonymous said...

I've had this happen to me so many times I just want to scream. Do they think they are producing a work of art or something. Can you threaten to let the dogs have their way with them. hehehe

Bryndell said...

Jeez! I bet Bobby and Jason and Pat could all have that fence up in a day. How frustrating.

Catch said...

I would be so frustrated watching them that I would probably go out and say..here let me help you guys speed things up...lol. People who are slow drive me up a wall. He must be getting paid by the hour!