Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sounds of China Spring

China Spring is a few minutes outside of Waco and worlds apart from Houston. Traci and Bobby's house is in a newer subdivision which is still building. For the most part it is quiet.

I can usually tell what time it is in the morning by the sounds. First I hear the neighbor's car as they leave for work. Then I hear my grand children getting ready for school as they shut their bed room doors (slam sometimes) and go out the front door. Then I hear the school bus as it stops to pick them up.

Then there are the sounds of the birds as they begin to chirp a greeting to the day and each other. Sometimes I can hear the dogs next door arguing or playing. Then since there are several houses being built here I can hear the noise of the nail guns and hammers as the put together houses. Several times a day small planes fly around the airport. Three times a day there is a commuter plane from American Airlines that drops in too.

But the most interesting sound I have heard so far is at night. The nights are usually quiet until the coyotes decide to start talking or singing. I have seen on tv stories about these animals and listened as some photographer goes out at night to film them. I never really thought about it until I was outside in the dark and heard them. The barking and yowling is a bit unnerving when you are not used to it. After all, sirens I know. Coyotes not so much. Their conversations can be a little creepy. They like to gather in the pasture behind the houses and do what ever it is they do... I don't think they have gone under any of the fences into the yards but the thought has occured to me. What would I do if one did? But as long as they stay where they are, I guess I will get used to the symphony of coyotes. It is more interesting than the loud car radios that rattle the windows in Houston.

1 comments:

Dr.John said...

Singing coyotes. Perhaps we could get them on American Idol.
I don't hear anything in the morning until I put my hearing aid in.