Friday, March 07, 2008

A Tattered Flag

It has been really windy here the last couple of days. As I walked Daisy this morning, I looked up at the American and Texas flags flying at the volunteer fire department building. I guess I am like everybody else and don't really pay much attention to the flags flying around at various places. But I was astonished to see how torn these two flags were as they flew proudly in the breeze. The American flag was still secured but as it waved in the wind, it was clearly in shreds. Then I looked at the Texas state flag which was in even worse shape. It was flapping wildly and holding on by one clip. At any moment I thought it could be torn completely off. It was even more torn than the American flag. I e-mailed my concern to the office manager.

Maybe it is just me. I find the sight of these two flags a disgrace. When I was a kid we were taught about the care of our American flag. I always thought that when our flag was too tattered it should be taken down, burned and then replaced. Maybe I am wrong about that. I don't know how expensive these flags are for companies to buy. But of all places I would think that a fire department would make sure their flags were kept in good conditon. People have fought and died for these symbols of freedom. Look at how many firemen and women lost their lives on 9/11. Texas has a long and storied history of the battle for freedom. Like I said, I never really gave flags much thought. I see them everywhere. As an American, I am embarrassed to see our flag is such bad shape. I can't help but feel sad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You see it more and more often. And flag etiquette isn't taught in school anymore, except as a passing note in high school. That's probably because the school flags are in worse shape than any other.

Dr.John said...

They can't be that expensive. They should replace them.

dmarks said...

I know what you mean. I remember once eating at a Ponderosa around 1984 or 1985. The flag was a tattered ruin. We called the restaurant back after we got home to complain. I think they did replace it.

Jess said...

I agree they should replace the flags. That is disgraceful.

Bazza said...

Nothing wrong with expecting certain standards to be upheld. I shall be interested to hear what response you got to your email. On another note it's been quite windy here too.

Unknown said...

Ah yes, e-mail does work. Brand new flags are now flying at the volunteer fire department behind my building!

bettygram said...

We bought a new flag for our poll just last year and it didn't make the winter. We took it down and have a new flag but as yet have not put it up. The business across from us had their flag catch onto a newly planted tree limb and get ripped. They took down the pole as well as the flag. We had a lot of large winds this wenter. It was good that you said something,