Monday, March 03, 2008

Who Said Soap Operas Aren't Real?

John Lennon once said that life happens when you are making other plans. That is why I never make plans anymore. Thursday the computer crashed. Jimmy ended up having to do a full recovery on it. Ever since then I have been fighting to get this thing back up to speed. Friday Jimmy was supposed to buy a laptop from a friend. But that didn't happen because his friend had not finished getting things off and onto his new laptop. Saturday Jimmy had to try to fix his truck. Another friend from work who is a mechanic said he would come help him as well as his other friend. Neither of them showed up. Frustrated, Jimmy did as much as he could by himself. Finally he gave up. He was certainly depressed because nothing went right. He was really looking forward to being able to use the truck again instead of our Trans-Am and he was hoping to be able to set up his new laptop. Even his nightly poker game went badly.

Oh well, at least we were going to have a nice visit with his daughter Amanda on Sunday. She has shed her long locks for the now popular "bob" style. It looks nice and we had a nice late lunch and visit. That is until she dropped a bomb shell. She and my son Pat share living space. Since my son works odd hours we rarely get to see him. She told me that his ex-girlfriend had moved to Odessa and that she has a job. She never bothered to do that when she and my son were together. Pat had to do it all, working, cleaning, cooking, and taking care of her kid while she sat on her butt. Finally they broke up and he moved on to another girl but that did not last long. The bomb exploded when Amanda told me that Pat was moving to Odessa. It seems that his former room-mate is now pregant with his kid. Bang! That was the sound of my heart hitting the floor. Not one member of our family likes this woman. This is on top of the fact that he is not divorced from his first wife who had a kid that was not my son's. I am thinking this has the makings of a soap opera!

Let's see, my soap opera would have all the elements of the current stories on any soap opera today. Just look at the cast. We have Pat who spent a lot of time on probation during high school. He was even sent to live with his father until his father turned reverted to his old jerk ways which is why I left him in the first place. Then we have the oldest daughter who finally has, hopefully settled down now that she has a good husband and three kids. She had a child by her first short lived marriage. We had to talk her into keeping her first child whom she wanted to leave with her ex-husband. Luckily she changed her mind and we have a lovely 12 year old granddaughter. The middle daughter Annie and her husband have two great little boys, one of whom has some developmental issues. Then there is Amanda, the youngest and in some ways the oldest. She never really stays in a relationship for long. Now she is seeing a guy who was a good friend of all the kids when they were in school. Now he is in prison, hoping for parole in 2010. We have known this guy for years and don't think he is guilty but, that is another episode. I kid you not, you can't make this stuff up! That is unless you write for a soap opera! At least on tv I can get previews of the upcoming episodes! Now, let's see, I wonder which shoe will drop next. I know I am not dreaming. On the other hand if this were a dream I could wake up. Ha. Now where is my Daytime Emmy?

5 comments:

bettygram said...

It's hard not having writers for our lives. We could tell them that real life it wouldn't happen that way.

Anonymous said...

Before you can earn an Emmy, you must first come up with a catchy title. Remeber the Carol Burnett soap spoof, As The Stomach Turns?

dmarks said...

Ah, Carol Burnett. I had to turn down free Vicki Lawrence tickets last week.

Unknown said...

I remember those days. Wonder what I should call my soap opera?

Anonymous said...

At least I'm not the crazy one in this soap opera mom!