Wednesday, September 20, 2006

You Talking To Me?

As I was driving around town today I noticed a man standing at the crosswalk. As he stood patiently waiting for the light to change I noticed two things about him. First, he looked like a short Donald Rumsfeld. The second thing was that he appeared to be talking to himself. Does Rumy? Maybe that's why he gets his way all the time.

After that I began to wonder just how many people talk to themselves. Most of us do so silently. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd want others to know what I would say about them. Since this was not the first person around here who seemed to carry on a conversation, how many people do this? I've seen people driving and holding what appears to be a very animated conversation. Are they singing along with a song on the radio? Maybe they are talking on the phone. With the advent of wireless technology, you never know to whom someone is talking. I've seen people in stores talking to an invisible person and realized they were on the phone. And here I thought the person was ready to be picked up by the guys in white coats.

Guess I'll have to be a little more careful. I don't normally talk to myself while crossing the street but I have been guilty of singing while driving. I've even rehearsed lines for a play while driviing. After all no one was going to interrupt me there. So, I've decided to not wonder anymore. Just because a guy is crossing the street or talking while driving, maybe they aren't crazy. Or are they?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

no- they aren't crazy- they're normal like the rest of us. We are normal, aren't we? I talk to myself all the time, but not usually out loud. Had an embarrassing thing happen on my bus yesterday, I thought I had dropped off all my passengers and was kind of half singing, half humming some of the words to a sung the choir sang the other night because I couldn't get them or the tune out of my head. Suddenly I heard a big yawn from behind me. I seriously hope he had just woke up and did not hear me and that it wasn't just a "polite" way to get my attention ! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

cube said...

I sing along in the car if it's a song I really like. I've also recited notes aloud on my way to take an exam.

I don't really care if people think I'm a little crazy. I know that I'm not & that's what really matters.

livewithrealme said...

I talk to myself all the time but try not to do it too much when others are around. I don't think it's crazy unless you see someone having what seems to be a full-blown two-way conversation!