Friday, June 02, 2006

Out of the Batcave (and the closet)

So DC Comics has revamped Batwoman. So now she is a lesbian. Just what we need a comicbook hero for our girls to look up to. What will the society girls of Gotham City think now. What does Bruce Wayne think of the outing of Batwoman? Never mind that Batwoman was killed off in 1979, she is alive and well. Her view of life has changed. It is enough to knot Catwoman's tail. So how do we explain this to our girls who have enjoyed Batman and Batwoman. "Holy gay pride, Batman" said Robin. This should be interesting...

4 comments:

Pixie said...

WTF? Batwoman...... gay????????? NO FRIGGIN WAY! Oh you know there will be problems with that one. Sorry but you can't do that. Create a "new" hero but you can't make change an old comic book hero like that.

Or am I a prude?????

Duez said...

I was pretty cool with it. I even thought of blogging about it. To be honest, kids today don't give a crap what us old farts think of the old super heroes.

And on top of that... there really are not very many 'role models' or 'super heroes' to look up to for gay/lesbian kids.

I guess I have a different outlook because I have so many students in class that are gay or lesbian. I see their frustration with such a cold and mean world that we live in.

TEN33GIRL said...

I don't so much mind the idea of a gay comic book character. I do however disagree with them making such a drastic change to a very well known character like Batwoman. I also have to wonder WHY they did it. I would suspect they did it more for shock to draw people to the comic.

Duez said...

I see movie deal coming out of this! Just after it's bounced around in my head a little the last couple of days. The story has gotten a ton of press. And with the success of so many gay/lesbian tv shows, I could just see it.